Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Range Volt Problems

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently turned on the stove on my electric range and heard a quiet
crackling noise. The range still gets electricity because the clock,
burner-on light, and oven light all work. The stove and oven will no
longer heat up, though. I contacted an appliance repair man who
measured the volts and said there is supposed to be 220V going into an
electric range and in my case, there is only 110V. He said the problem
is probably not with the stove/oven---and we can't even check to see
if there is a problem because there's not enough power to isolate the
problem to the range---but with electric supply. I have a breaker box
in the basement that I've reset to no quick solution.

Can anyone speculate as to why, all of the sudden, the range (or
rather, the outlet the range plugs into) is not receiving the
appropriate volts. Keep it simple for me if possible; I clearly am a
beginner at understanding home electric wiring.

That crackling noise indicates that you might have a bad connection. You
will need to pull out the stove and open the terminal box and check those
connections for tightness. If you have a receptacle behind the stove,
remove the cover and check those connections. Also open up your circuit
breaker panel and check the connection on the circuit breaker for the stove.
Make sure that you have 220 volts coming off of the breaker. If all of these
are good, then the problem may be internal to the stove.

Often the stove circuit is fed with aluminum wire. If the connections are
not tight, there could be some arcing and that could cause the aluminum to
melt at the point of termination and no longer make good contact.