Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default tub spout shower diverter

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK this is not one of your serious life-threatening issues, but it has
been bugging me.

Installed a new shower hardware set a couple months ago -- valve, tub
spout, shower head. It is a mid-range set from Price-Pfister. It's
very nice except: at first the shower diverter dingus on the tub spout
would drop down by itself after you turned the water off (ending your
shower), draining the water in the line leading to the shower head.
But now it doesn't; if you forget to push it down manually, it just
drips for hours but never drops back down. The old hardware did that
too -- it was an el cheapo, but I thought that problem would go away
when I put this nice, kind of heavy-duty new hardware in. Fondly do I
recall my halcyon youth, when these things just worked. So, why don't
they anymore? -- H

Not sure why it doesn't work right, but you could get a round earth rare
magnet and put it on the knob to give it weight to make it drop. But then,
it might magnetize everything, and then it wouldn't work that way either.
OR take a round piece of metal and epoxy it on there to give it some extra
weight. OR use it enough where it gets worn enough to drop on its own, in
the meantime taking several hundred blasts of ice cold water to start your
shower. OR just get used to pressing the thing down after you get hit with
enough blasts of ice cold water that you remember. (for me and my short
attention span, about 150) But still, there will be those times where
you're half awake or half sober, you forget for that 2.143 seconds, and
there will be the screaming and instant awakening.

They just don't build stuff like they used to, and if you can find said
"stuff", it usually co$ts 10X what a regular one co$ts.

Lastly, you could use one of those red ribbons on there like they have on
aircraft "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" that says "DROP DIVERTER BEFORE SHOWERING."

OR watch for an old one at a yard sale, and pay the plumber $100 to put on a
50 cent item.

Steve