Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Range Volt Problems

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently turned on the stove on my electric range and heard a quiet
crackling noise. The range still gets electricity because the clock,
burner-on light, and oven light all work. The stove and oven will no
longer heat up, though. I contacted an appliance repair man who
measured the volts and said there is supposed to be 220V going into an
electric range and in my case, there is only 110V. He said the problem
is probably not with the stove/oven---and we can't even check to see
if there is a problem because there's not enough power to isolate the
problem to the range---but with electric supply. I have a breaker box
in the basement that I've reset to no quick solution.

Can anyone speculate as to why, all of the sudden, the range (or
rather, the outlet the range plugs into) is not receiving the
appropriate volts. Keep it simple for me if possible; I clearly am a
beginner at understanding home electric wiring.

How did he test? You actually have two feeds of 110 volts. It is possible
that one leg is dropped out. First thing I'd check is the circuit inside
the breaker box. There are two wires that feed the 220 line. I'd check to
be sure each one had 110. Then I'd check the ground.