Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank Hank is offline

Default Installing curtain track for heavy drapes

On Mar 20, 5:48 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 17, 9:43 am, "Colbyt" wrote:
Have you seen the type of rod with a small (~1/4 inch) bulge/lip
across the top, to which the centre bracket attaches? The brackets are
sold to fit, so clearly they are intended to go together, but are they
only suitable for lightweight curtains? I'm sorry that I don't have a
picture, but it isn't on the manufacturer's website.

The lip in this photohttp://www.continentalwindowfashions.com/category_k003_Kirsch-Superfi...

is more like an 1/8". There are a couple of other brands where it is
slightly more pronounced. Some do not have any lip at all. If the brackets
come from the same place as the rod, that is as good as it gets.

If you are buying a brand used by professionals you will have no problems.
If you are buying something from a mass retailer like potterybarn you might
have problems. There is a reason the stuff sold by the mass marketers is
cheaper. IMO, it is of a cheaper quality. I just don't install that cheap
stuff anymore. There is an old country saying, "you can't make a silk purse
out of a sows ear". For years I tried to give a quality installation with
inferior parts and then I said "no more".

Feel free to contact me via email or my site contact form and I will try to
help you with any advice that I might be able to offer.

Colbyt

Lots of great ideas but up until 10 or years ago I did professional
installations..

The rod you pointed to in the link if it hasn't been cheapened is
quite strong but like most things do sag if not correctly supported

Rule of thumb (s)

Hang curtain rods at the finished length of the draperies +1 " after
they hang they will come down some
if the width of the window is 112 see if the span between the first
pleat and the last pleat on both panels add the distance together and
see if you have 114" or more that way the draperies will cover the
frame nicely. If you have more they will just hang fuller.

Knowing the height and width you are now ready to start mounting .
if you have the 60 120" rod you will find two center supports on
labeled "IN" & one labeled "OUT" I woul say you need 1 additional
"OUT" per rod . You will also need the extension brakets for the
center supports and the end brackets. You will transfer the movable
brackets from the single depth mounting to the double mounting!

Attachment locate a stud but the header is better, toggle bolt are far
better the molly bolts, throw away the plastic anchors and #6 x 1"
screws. If you hit the header or wwoor use a 2" x #8 screw 2 per end
bracket top abd bottom only on the side away from the bracket, as far
as the center supports go use onlt the top holes on the outside of the
brackets. No studs use toggle bolts.

Just as a side if the drapes are long enought you can take the center
supports off and attach to the ceiling and the end you just secure
with the hole in the very end of the rod.

What to do with the cord.... Buy a tension pully and attach it to the
wall in line with the window frame, put cord through the pulley, then
draw the guides all the way back and set the ceter by looping the cord
on the left bracket over the grabber, then on the right guide puul th
right hand knot and pull excess until tension pulley rises about 2
inches - cut the cord and retie a new knot.

Hang the drapes and your done!

Cheers