Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph Fedorak Ralph Fedorak is offline

Default Where Do Ideas Come From - Creativity or Synthesisity?

charlieb wrote:
Dan Bollinger wrote:

I think CREATIVITY is built into all of us. It
has to be, or humans would've gone extinct a long time ago.

I'll agree with the above statement, since it includes your coined terminology,
too. Coining a new term, and then asking for discussion is sorta like the dog
chasing his own tail. Everyone is creative, plain and simple. Why muddy the
waters with new, confusing, or limiting terms?

I was initially using synthesis to differentiate combining existing
things in a new way rather than creativity, making something from
nothing that existed before. Was trying to get the two terms
in the same form, not to coin a new term. Also was trying to
get around the potential mental block some have when creativity
is mentioned the "I'm not creative - but I'm pretty good at finding
a way to do things." folks I hope join this thread.

Creativity is closely associated with playfulness. If you are struggling with a
design, then I submit you are trying to hard. Lighten up!

Two critical parts of creativity - play vs work - an attitude that
it's play and not drudgery, something to overcome and Lighten
Up! It's only wood and some time that's lost if you make a mistake.
Not the end of the world. Try again or go do something else that
might be an opportunity to be creative.

Everyone has their way of solving problems. Most of us learned how to solve
problems by the time we were five years-old. Very few of us found new ways after
that.

Having been trained as an engineer I have to take issue with that
statement. I didn't know trig or geometry at age five. Both come
in real handy handy in woodworking - whether you call it trig and
geometry or not.

The difference between regular folk and very creative folk like artists
and designers is that they not only have discovered how they solve problems,
they've also learned new ways, too. It is a conscious effort for them.

OK so conscious awareness is important along with intentionally
making
an effort to use that awareness is important. That's something that
can be learned. Any tips on ways to learn to do that?

The first step is to learn how you solve problems.

I think that's the second step. The first step is to not quit
when problems are encountered. Creativity and Risk Avoidance
don't seem to go together.

Just my thoughts, Dan

Master of The Understatement.

More please.

charlie b

The first step is to realize that there is a problem.