Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Del Rosso Tom Del Rosso is offline

Default Buying wood furniture with no plastic

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
I was shopping for dining tables and dressers last week. There are
the places that sell made-in-China stuff with lots of plastic and
drawers that are stuck. There is the chain called Gothic Cabinet
Craft for custom furniture but it's not well made and contains some
plastic. Then there are
the name brand resellers like Oak Warehouse that have a lot of very
nice looking pieces, but it still has some plastic in the drawer
runners and table leafs.

There are other types of retailers but I haven't been there yet.

Where does a buyer go to get away from plastic without paying
full-custom prices? How much more does it cost to replace a few
small parts with wood?

Any mass produced stuff is going to have some plastic. That is not a
bad thing as plastic does not move like wood and guides and slides
can work for many years with no problems due to warping from high
humidity. Cheap furniture is not kept as heirloom stuff anyway.

I didn't know they all had it. Does that include the brands you mention
like Drexel?

It might be durable, but furniture from 50 years ago didn't have plastic and
those drawer runners are still smooth.

There are many other brands of furniture that will probably suit you
better, but not at any place that has "Furniture Warehouse" in its
name. You may find better quality at a place that sell Drexel,
Thomasville, etc.

Thanks for the names. Actually I think that Oak Warehouse place does have
those brands, but now I know what to look for.

You pay more, but it will last a lifetime. I'm
still using a chest that was mine when I was a kid, new about 55
years ago. Our bedroom furniture is Drexel and is 41 years old and
still looks as good as the day it was delivered.

Judging by the places you are looking now, I don't think you are
willing to spend the money for quality stuff.

No, those are just the places nearby that I visited first. Oak Warehouse
has name brands and it's not bad stuff considering, as you say, that all
mass-produced furniture has some plastic. I'll look for the names you
mentioned now.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.