Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Pressure treated wood fence with black mold?

newsgroup wrote:

I special order 15 pressure treated wood fence panels from local Home
Depot. The contractor shipped and installed them to my back yard just
10 days ago. I found out there are black mold all over 15 panels, some
more some less.

I went back to customer service, they told me pressure treated wood
won't get mold, and is mold resistant. I called and complain to HD. The
manager told me that is normal with "minor" mold. I called Lowes and
they told me it is rare at all. (I did not tell the Lowe's guy where I
get fences from.)

I am stuck here. What should I do? I don't want to use bleach to kill my
fruit trees next to fences. HD refuse do anything except telling me to
get a bucket of solution to wash them off. The fences came here new
with lots of black mold!!

So my question is here, it that common for molding on pressure treated
wood? What should I do for those errors HD made and the molding problem
I have on the back yard? Thanks

Here in Florida, anything that sits outdoors for a day will either rust
or get mildewy. If they are in the sun, sun will kill it. If not, wash
with 10% bleach/water. Rinse. If the trees touch the fence, just tie
up branches before you wash the fence or cover with tarp. Rinse all
with clear water. Don't cover vegetation with tarps during the hottest
part of the day or they will be burnt. Old pantyhose or cloth strips
make great ties for plants. Don't know how bleach will affect the PT
chemical....works great on painted stucco.