Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Simon Bob Simon is offline

Default Lamp Dimmer

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:20:36 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

I went to the local parts store and they did not have either the triac
or the diac. They did have a TNE5646 "Triac with Internal Trrigger
Diac", which I purchased. This is also a 600V device and it handles
10A.

Can I simply install this in place of the BT137F and jumper between
the two holes on the circuit board for the missing diac?

You should be able to, give it a shot, worst case it won't work.

It didn't. The pot/switch also had problems. I removed it from the
circuit board, squirted in some tuner cleaner, and worked the shaft.
Now the pot works good mechanically and electrically but the switch is
still unreliable.

I hate to give up when I'm so close. Is there any hope of repairing
the switch if I open up the pot? What about finding a replacement
that will fit into the board?

The only markings on the pot are T S on the bottom of the casing.
The circut board it came from is labeled Golo. Does anyone recognize
what either of these are?