Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Default How to drill dog holes

I'd use that clamped block of wood with an appropriately angled hole as
a guide for a brace and augur bit. A bevel gage laid on the benchtop at
the same angle will serve as a visual aid. Just go slow and practice on
a few thick scraps. A straight pencil line on the top with hole centers
dimpled along it will serve to locate the augur point and make for an
accurate series of holes along the line.

You could probably do just as well with a spade bit in an electric drill
if you have a really steady hand and don't go too fast. But personally I
find it a lot easier to wander off course with an electric drill than
with a hand brace.

J.

RayV wrote:

I doubt I can get the top safely up on the drill press to make these
holes without building a giant contraption so I am going to have to do
it with a hand-held drill.

Will a block of wood with a 3/4 hole be enough of a jig?

Will a 3/4 saw-tooth Forstner bit be able to drill these holes?
(I don't have a 3/4 twist or brad point)

What about a hole-saw?