Posted to rec.woodworking
David Penner David Penner is offline

Default Cut your hair boys and girls (cautionary tale)

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

This morning I, being a long haired freaky person, had hair down to my
ass. It is now a shoulder length (very) rough bob.

This afternoon I was routing a roundover on a box when suddenly I felt a
sharp pain and the router leapt at me and died.

I at first thought my hair had gotten into the bit, but it was worse
than that--it had been drawn into the motor from the top until the
router stalled or the brushes came off or whatever else caused the
router to stop happened (I haven't had a chance to tear it down yet).
The shaft cannot be turned at the moment. Fortunately it was my ancient
1 horse Black and Decker and not the 3-1/2 horse Porter Cable which
would probably not have stopped until it had done serious damage--as it
was there was no real harm done other than embarrasment.

Manana I'm going to see about getting the hair cut back to mil-spec.

Not sure how I got my hair into it--I wear it tied back and tucked into
my shirt when I'm working but it managed to escape somehow. Better to
keep it short, as I've just learned the hard way.

--

Many years ago when I had hair, I mean, long hair, I did a similar
thing. I was living at home and my dad had this ancient drill--solid

These days I shave my head; funny, haven't had a problem with power
tools getting stuck to it.

david

--

www.brndogwoodworks.com