Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default branch panel grounding question

In article , wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

"bill allemann" wrote:

I have a solid ground wire on hand (free), but I'd rather not pull it
through the conduit.

If the conduit is metal, the conduit itself is permitted to be the grounding
conductor.

I suspect that's no longer true, because we just got a barn with
metal conduit rewired with a real ground wire after 10 years,
at the inspector's expense.

You suspect incorrectly. Possibly your local jurisdiction doesn't permit it,
but the national Code does:

"The equipment grounding conductor run with or enclosing the circuit
conductors shall be one or more or a combination of the following: ...
(2) Rigid metal conduit
(3) Intermediate metal conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing
(5) Listed flexible metal conduit ...
(6) Listed liquidtight flexible metal conduit ...
(7) Flexible metallic tubing ...
(8) Armor of type AC cable ..."
[2005 National Electrical Code, Article 250.118]

--
Regards,