Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default CFL flickers - when switch is off. . .

Pat wrote:

That's what I was thinking. That lighted switch is getting power from
somewhere and is grounded to somewhere. I am wondering if it isn't
grounded through these wires, effectively putting the CF in series
with it. If so, removing the bulb would extinguish the switch's
light. Otherwise, either try a non-lighted switch, try if different
switch, or call an exorcist.

It IS the neon lamp in the "lighted" switch, also the EL
"backlights" do the same thing.

The neon/el will pass a small curent to the CFL (after all,
the neon/EL is glowing) The CFL input is a fullwave bridge
or voltage doubler circuit. After a few seconds, enough dc
voltage will build up in the CFL that it will try to
"start". It will give off a dim blink as it discharges, and
the process starts all over again.

This is the old neon relaxation oscillator circuit of the
1940's.

Single pole triac dimmers(two wire) will also do this, but
can be a hazard since they give an unlimited 117VAC blast to
the CFL. The older CFL circuit could fail, the newer CFLs
are designed to "fail-safe".

-larry / dallas