Tim Williams

Default Straightening?

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
Reheat it and straighten it while hot.
Then, heat it up again and bury in powdered lime or vermiculite.
Leave it for at least 4 hours.

This is called Annealing and will remove any stresses in the blade from
the forging process.

During forging, all stresses are inherently removed because the metal is
always above annealing temperature, so this is N/A as far as I know. I have
to to finishing work (aside from the polishing) in an annealed state because
we don't seem to have a grinder. . .

Then re-harden it, this time making sure not to have an uneven heat on
either side of the blade before you quench.

Um, not an issue.. there's not going to be more than 50 degrees across the
thickness. (Note the warp is like bending the thickness. Not like an arc'd
Samurai sword (called ???).)

The point is moot now since I tried tapping it between three blocks of wood,
breaking it.. I'll have to go forge weld it somehow, or otherwise make a new
one...sigh...

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,