Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Joshin Just Joshin is offline

Default How to make a concrete driveway last?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:19:45 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Now that I have my nice new concrete driveway, what can I do to make it
last? In my neighborhood, there is a lot of badly erroded concrete. Is there
anything that can be done to prevent this? Any coatings that don't look
ugly, but actually extend the life of the cement?

imho, i was told:

The first steps would have a good contractor. Using washed ag, and
covering your concrete with plastic, to retard evapaoration too fast.

Then don't use rock salt at all. Any icemelt you do use is to break
up the ice, and then remove it with a shovel. Don't let any product
just sit on you concrete.

I was warned about keeping my car well maintained since oils and
fluids could react with the concrete as well.

Just what I was told.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com