Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default CFL flickers - when switch is off. . .

On Mar 20, 12:15 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Maybe the bulb (neon?) in the switch is conducting enough current to light
the CFL. Unscrew the CFL and see if the switch bulb goes out.

"Roger" wrote in message

. ..

I have a 14w Nvision brand compact fluorescent bulb on a three-way switch
circuit in my stairway that pulses very weak light, from near the base of
the discharge tube, about every second, when the switch is in the "off"
position. Looks like a weak strobe light.
I checked the "off" voltage across the empty socket - it was about 5v.
One of the three way switches has a lighted toggle, for what it is worth.
The lamp fixture is a can light, new, and seemingly properly wired but
cannot tell if the body of the unit is grounded, as only the hot and
neutral feed wires are visible on my side of the metal fixture reflector.
All I can figure is the low voltage is charging a capacitor in the bulb
base, and the capacitor periodically discharges its stored energy into
the bulb.
How can I trouble shoot (if this is necessary for safety) the source of
the low voltage in the lamp socket?
And is this in any way a fire danger?
Thanks,
Roger

That's what I was thinking. That lighted switch is getting power from
somewhere and is grounded to somewhere. I am wondering if it isn't
grounded through these wires, effectively putting the CF in series
with it. If so, removing the bulb would extinguish the switch's
light. Otherwise, either try a non-lighted switch, try if different
switch, or call an exorcist.