Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default air compressor & tool question

as others said, don't even look at the HP, look at CFM at some reasonable
pressure - I have a Quincy compressor with a 5 hp motor - it puts out
(according to the manual) 21 CFM at 160 PSI, and I have my old compressor, a
crafstman 2 hp unit that puts out 7.2 cfm at 60 psi (according to my
memory). The 2 hp crafstman puts out almost double what many of the new
cheapie "5 hp" units put out. I use my compressor for all sorts of things
beyond running an air sander (I could argue with those who said go electric
but I won't, let's jsut say I won't go electric), I run a bead blaster, I
run a paint sprayer, air drill, and so on - my sandblaster uses the most
air, most other things the compressor cycles on and off fairly infrequently.
The sears unit though would run continuously when I was painting (cars) and
eventually cracked a ring (and as others said, it's an easy overhaul - just
like a lawn mower engine, but without a valve train). (hey, if you are on
the left coast, do you want a nice compressor?) if you have the space, look
for a "real" compressor like a Quincy, that can run all day, every day for
decades - you get better air (dryer), more pressure/volume for your HP, and
more reliability - downside - compressor weighs about 800 pounds (upside to
that, no one is going to steal it out of my shop)

"George Saridakis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I am looking at
Grex air tools from Packard
Craftsman Professional 60 gal. Air Compressor, 2.9 hp, Vertical Tank,
Twin-V 2-Stage Oil Free Pump (I figure I could repair an oil free unit if
need be)

Anyone have experience with these?

thanks
George