Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Door closer

butterfly wrote:
We have just fitted a door closer on a door as requested by building
control. I dont think we carried out the fitted correctly since it
turned out to be a nightmare to fit, requiring the strength of 2 men
to do it properly. (we fitted one side in, but had to use a lot of
force to position the other hinge into place to screw it in...).
Anyway, its done now, and the door closes automatically when opened
but it doesnt slam shut. Is it ok if its slightly ajar or will
building control require it to slam shut?
We used this kind of closer: http://tinyurl.com/38hpa5

Any advice on where we went wrong during the fitting would also be
appreciated.

Where you went wrong was paying £1.79p for a door closer - a fire door
weighs a lot more than a regular internal flush door and therefore requires
something more substantial to close it.
No the building inspector won't pass it if it doesn't completely close
(every time) and the fire officer won't be too happy neither, if he's
required to see it.
http://snipurl.com/1dj2v is what you should have used.