Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Door closer

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:34:48 +0000, butterfly wrote:

We have just fitted a door closer on a door as requested by building
control. I dont think we carried out the fitted correctly since it
turned out to be a nightmare to fit, requiring the strength of 2 men to
do it properly. (we fitted one side in, but had to use a lot of force to
position the other hinge into place to screw it in...). Anyway, its done
now, and the door closes automatically when opened but it doesnt slam
shut. Is it ok if its slightly ajar or will building control require it
to slam shut?
We used this kind of closer: http://tinyurl.com/38hpa5

Any advice on where we went wrong during the fitting would also be
appreciated.

These are very tricky to fit. However you should have found inside the
packet a small steel slightly cranked rod about 2mm diam x about 50mm long.
This is used to wedge the chain. You could also improvise something.

The tension/length of the mechanism is adjustable to achieve a result, but
the door needs to be hung right of course.

If you are only trying to get a completion certificate then fit the ugly
but cheap and simple rotary type and remove later.