Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Door closer

On Mar 20, 5:22 pm, "John" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

k...

We have just fitted a door closer on a door as requested by building
control. I don't think we carried out the fitted correctly.... it doesn't slam
shut.

...it would seem to me that a fire door should shut properly otherwise
it would seem a bit pointless having it in the first place.

The secret is to use a steel nail or similar - push it between the links of
the chain whilst the door is open - then you can perhaps remove a link from
the slack end

They should have had a pin or gadget like that to hold the chain out
while it was fitted. Why they couldn't follow the instructions is
beyond me.

They are tightened or slackened by turning the spring flange. Open the
door as wide as possible, insert the catch or clip or whatever they
supplied or buy another Perko to use that. They are only a couple of
quid.

An 1 1/2" nail might do.

Remove the flange set in the frame and turn the chain -without
straining it, to suit. Replace the flange and remove the catch. Check
the door closes and if it doesn't, try again.

That's all there is to it.