Dan Caster

Default the Home Schooled was Clark is correct

The way I see it is that even if you are teaching just one student,
the first thing you do is present a new idea to the student. It does
not need to be a lecture. But for the student to learn something that
he/she does not know, first the student needs to shown what there is
to be learned. You could acomplish this by saying here is a book that
you are to learn the ideas in the book. And let the book present the
ideas.

Next you need to see how well the student learned the new information.
You may need to figure out some way that the student will use the new
information so as to get it into the long term memory. And you need
to figure out various ways to motivate the student.

Teaching is an art that can be reduced to a science.

Dan

Karl Pearson wrote in message

I must disagree. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such
thing as 'teaching'. There is only 'learning'.

The teacher's job is to help students learn. This requires the teacher to
deal with students with diverse backgrounds, interests, abilities,
attention spans, home lifes, and expectations.

A brilliant presentation before a pack of beagles will yield a pack of
bored beagles. No presentation, but individual attention paid to even the
most reticent pupil will, at least, give that student support, a good role
model, and encouragement to learn when they are ready.

I came to these conclusions after a particularly horrible experience as an
instructor in an in-house apprentice program.

Karl Pearson