Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

This idea only works on flatwork that is level as in floors. A
driveway dropping 5' or 5" doesn't lend itself to flooding.

Rain and water do not erode concrete unless you have acid rain in
your area or subject the concrete to sulphite attack. Wind,
freezing within the first 3 days, too hot without curing, and
overfinishing/jitterbugging can all cause the top to delaminate.
Salt can be deadly. Failure to use air entrained concrete in a
climate that has freezing temperatures will lead to freeze/thaw
damage.

Hopefully you used low water/cement ratio mix, 3000 or 3500 # air
entrained concrete, properly cured that was poured on a well
prepared sub grade that has more than enough contraction joints
tooled or cut into the concrete. No concrete over 12' in any
direction without a joint!

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com
delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I guess what I'm really after is, what is the difference
between a few days, a week, and a few weeks? I'd love to see a
hardness or strength versus time kept wet curve.

I'd bet you cold find it with google

Results of Proper Curing

• More Durable Concrete: Good concrete, properly cured, has
fewer pores and crevices where water can enter, freeze, expand
and crack the concrete. Air entrainment helps make more durable
concrete, but its use must also be accompanied by proper curing.

• More Wear-Resistant Concrete: Well cured concrete (28 day
curing period) will develop a surface twice as wear resistant as
a surface that is cured for only three days. Proper curing
prevents dusting and means less cracking, crazing and spalling
of the concrete. All in all, the better the curing, the better
the concrete.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr.../watercure.htm

After concrete is placed, the concrete increases in strength
very quickly for a period of 3-7 days. Concrete which is moist
cured for 7 days is about 50% stronger than uncured concrete.

Water curing can be done after the slab pour by building dams
with soil around the house and flooding the slab. The enclosed
area is continually flooded with water. Ideally, the slab could
be water cured for 7 days. Some builders on a tight schedule
water cure for 3 days as this achieves approximately 80% of the
benefit of water curing for 7 days.

Consider planning your job to pour at the end of the week, build
berms, then flood over the weekend. You get he benefit of water
curing without losing too much time in the schedule.