Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default How to make a concrete driveway last?

Ook wrote:
Now that I have my nice new concrete driveway, what can I do to make
it last? In my neighborhood, there is a lot of badly erroded
concrete. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Any
coatings that don't look ugly, but actually extend the life of the
cement?

Well you already are past some of the most important.

First is the foundation. The gravel base under the concrete and
preparation. Next is the design including re-bar, wire, thickness, and
strength rating of the concrete. Next is the installation. For example
under working or over working the concrete will make for a weak surface that
will scale very easy.

Now, assuming it was just put in, you can keep it damp for at least a
few days to a week or so. That will allow it to cure slowly and develop
full strength. Drying means it will not properly cure and will always be
weak.

After that, keeping salt off, especially during the first year is
important. Other than than trying to keep stains off it so it looks nice is
about it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit