Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default T 111 for fence material?

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 6:47 pm, wrote:
The 8 foot fence behind my house is built with T111.

It has been there for years and seems to be holding up pretty well.

I not sure I would install the panels horizontally though.

Is it a problem to cut them in to 4 footers and install them
vertically?

No problem doing it vertically. I'm just thinking the horizontal
would look interesting. And I would actually be doing an 8' fence
with 2 panels per section, one above the other. May require
additional fastening to insure the joint between the two is strong
enough?

The potential problem I see with your suggestion is that the edges of the
long grooves expose a lot of end grain. It also provides a 'resevoir' where
water lays longer than in the vertical orientation and allows time for the
wood to absorb water. There is also the issue of voids which are only
apparent along these groove and which provide a conduit for the water to
permeate deeper into the sheet. I agree that the horizontal orientation
would be a novel and pleasing technique but not without performing some sort
of sealing along the top edge of each groove. My caulking gun arm is
already feeling like tennis elbow - LOL. Whatever you do, have some from!.