Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark K Mark K is offline

Default How to make a concrete driveway last?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:19:45 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Now that I have my nice new concrete driveway, what can I do to make it
last? In my neighborhood, there is a lot of badly erroded concrete. Is there
anything that can be done to prevent this? Any coatings that don't look
ugly, but actually extend the life of the cement?

One thing I learned from the several houses that I've owned over the
years is that using salt to remove ice from the sidewalk can really
tear up concrete, but it depends upon the concrete mix.

I had big divots in the concrete at one house in Colorado, but very
little effect on a second house in the same town. The sidewalk at the
second house was only a few years old, while the first house had a
30-year-old sidewalk, so age may have played a part.

The composition of the sidewalks was different. The older sidewalk had
visible gravel in the concrete, while the newer one did not.

Mark