Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default measuring cutout holes in drywall

On Mar 19, 3:44 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Again, it's obvious you've never used one. You punch in in the middle of
the box, move to the edge, jump outside and cut clockwise. Research before
typing. It's like engage brain before speaking.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

"Edge" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 19, 11:57 am, "RicodJour" wrote:
wrote:

The principle used here is transference. However unlike using lipstick
or carbon paper, you do not have to lift the drywall to find the
outlet box. (Think of cutting an outlet box for a ceiling fixture.)
The pushpin outline of the outlet box on the drywall is exact. If you
want an exact cutout, cut outside the outline of the outlet box. This
eliminates the problem in using a Robozip that cuts the inside of the
outlet box but leaves the thickness of the outlet box to deal with.

You're fabricating a "problem" out of thin air!

You don't cut around the interior of the box, you cut around the
_outside_ of the box. The 1/8" zip bit leaves a 1/8" gap around the
outside of the box allowing some wiggle room.

Maybe you should remember your own posting from March 19:

There are tons of tricks. Best one - buy a Rotozip (or approved
equal). Then all you have to do is poke a hole in the middle of the
outlet box and run the Rotozip around the perimeter. Messy and
noisy,
but very effective. Sell it on eBay when you no longer need it.

Poke a hole in the middle of the outlet box and cut around the
perimeter? Did you really mean to poke a hole around the outside of
the outlet box and cut around the outside of the perimeter. Good luck
finding where to start the hole.

Well, of course I personally wouldn't hang drywall without a rotozip
handy (although I know pros who prefer to cut their boxes by hand).
But if a rookie homeowner is hanging ten sheets of drywall, I don't
really think it's great advice. I botched some outlets when I first
picked up a rotozip, and have seen other rookies do it too. There are
a few ways to screw up--not hitting the inside of the box, wandering
off of the box, not having the sheet tight to the box...these lessons
generally get learned on the job, and by the time he is done with his
10 sheets, he will have a half dozen boxes to fix, just like if he had
saved his money and cut them by hand. Plus his hair and clothes will
be full of gypsum dust.