Dave Plowman

Default FM Aerial installation Q's

In article ,
Owain wrote:
DAB is lower bitrates than Freeview and even the BBC has admitted that
DAB is no longer a high fidelity medium in an email that has been
circulated on the 'net.

Yes. Although R3 and 4 are still ok on DAB IMHO.

Good FM analogue, when it happens, is probably the best broadcast sound,
but it still does not compare with good vinyl.

I'd say the finest broadcast sound quality readily available to all is
probably NICAM on TV. Good FM reception can be much more difficult to
achieve - and costly.

You were ahead up until now. ;-)

Vinyl has inherent distortions that cannot be overcome. And that's before
the physical wear and damage problems. It also requires great compromises
as to what can and can't be cut satisfactorily which invariably means
altering the master recording to suit. CD, for example, doesn't.

Must admit that I quite like having the option of World Service, Asian
Network or Magic though.

I'd say that many who aren't committed Hi-Fi types would be satisfied by
DAB - it suffers from non of the reception problems that plague both FM
and AM. Can have some of its own, though.

I'd say the reason they have reduced the audio quality to cram in more
choice is that it hasn't exactly been a success, numbers wise. But at
least the option is there to later restore bitrates to where most would
find acceptable.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW 12