Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wmoy1234@peoplepc.com is offline

Default measuring cutout holes in drywall

On Mar 17, 5:06 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
I've done this several times and this is something that just keeps eluding
me.

What is the trick to measuring accurate drywall cutout holes for outlet
boxes? The big issue that I seem to have is that the measurments need to be
accurate by 1/8" all around for the job to look professional and for the
outlet plate to sit firmly. But when I go to do it, no matter how many
times I measure, I'm always off by 1/8" which puts one side 1/4" off and
another snug against the box. I'm a firm believer in measure once cut twice
(or is that measure twice cut once...)

Are there better tools for measuring it? I'm using my tape measure which is
accurate but unwieldy and with that metal lip on the forward edge it can be
off by 1/4" if you get the tape bowed.

This method gives you the most accurate cutouts. I had a window screen
I wasn't using to which I attached a piece of clear plastic sheeting.
Next, I found a reference point on the screen relative to the drywall.
This can be a corner, the long side or short side of the screen. Lay
the screen on the wall and use a marker to draw the outlet on the
plastic. Take the screen to the drywall, line up to the reference
point, and using a pushpin or nail, push holes in the drywall to
outline the corners of the outlet box. Cut the drywall with your
drywall saw.

The principle used here is transference. However unlike using lipstick
or carbon paper, you do not have to lift the drywall to find the
outlet box. (Think of cutting an outlet box for a ceiling fixture.)
The pushpin outline of the outlet box on the drywall is exact. If you
want an exact cutout, cut outside the outline of the outlet box. This
eliminates the problem in using a Robozip that cuts the inside of the
outlet box but leaves the thickness of the outlet box to deal with.
The window screen I have is made of metal and is semi-rigid. However
any semi-rigid frame will do. I have even considered making a frame
with pvc tubing and 90 degree corners. The tubing can be of different
lengths and if the corners are not glued, they can be interchanged
with different lengths as needed. Obviously the plastic sheet can be
used separately mutiple times or mutiple outlet boxes for the same
drywall panel can be marked at the same time.