Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Brodbeck David Brodbeck is offline

Default Consumer Reports: "Don't repair this TV..."

Captain Midnight wrote:
They aren't allowed to encrypt the local affiliates feed.

From what I've heard, this is not enforced and it's kind of a crapshoot,
too. I'm on the MythTV list and there's lots of complaints about cable
companies arbitrarily turning encryption on on local feeds.

It doesn't take much of an antenna to get OTA. I could get 4 of the 6
stations with the UHF equivalent of rabbit ears. Got the last 2 by putting a
home made antenna(DB-4) in an upstairs window. The stations are 33 miles
away.

I've never had any luck receiving analog TV with an indoor antenna, so
I'm guessing I'd have even less luck with HDTV.

Thanks for the info. I wish this wasn't all getting rammed down our
throats in another couple years.