Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Veritas vs. Lie Nielsen hand planes

I've been extremely pleased with my block and rabbet planes from
Veritas, and I'm now in the market for a big bench plane - a 6 or a
7. I'm not so much interested in looks and resale value as I am
usability. The added features of the Veritas and the lower price have
me leaning that way, but only if the plane will "work" as well as the
Lie Nielsen. The sharpness of the blade out of the box is irrelevant,
as I'll sharpen it myself, but I'd rather not have to spend hours
truing the sole or something like that.

Anyone have any strong opinions either way?
thanks
JP