Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

Ook wrote:
I finally got my new driveway poured. Question: Should I let it dry
out, and if not, how long should I keep it wet? I've been going out
several times a day and hosing it off to keep it wet. It's not hot,
but the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, and it drys out after
a few hours. At what point do I stop and just let it dry?

Concrete does not dry hard, it cures. The problem that happens is when
it does dry before it cures. Water is part of the cured concrete.

What you want to do is to keep the surface area from going too dry
during the initial cure period. Most people will suggest that three days is
good and that is a good starting point. If it dries out sooner the surface
will be less strong. It you can keep it from drying (it need not be wet)
longer is better. In some applications it takes years to reach full
strength.

Commercially they often spray on a paint like material to retard
evaporation or use plastic.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit