Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Running service from house to garage

To run an electrical service to detached building, you didn't necessarily
have to pull a ground conductor with the feeder, you could establish a new
ground at the detached building by driving ground rods, which now is a
requirement for any service larger than two 20 amp circuits. The down side
of establishing an independent grounding system at the detached building is
that you can't run anything between the buildings that could become a ground
path

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 2007-03-19, RBM wrote:

Exactly. If you think you may need a larger feed for future, you
could pull the number 8's as I describe, which will give you 40 amps,
but you'd need a panel and the ground rods.

Couldn't he pull the #8's but still wire the garage as two circuits on
his existing main panel?
Cheers, Wayne

No, it won't all fit in the conduit.

Bob

Wait, I thought you meant pull #8's and leave the #12 Romex in the
conduit too. Yes he could run #8 wires and feed them with a 20A 2-pole
breaker. Then put the subpanel in later (increasing the breaker to 40A.)

Bob

Because of the coax, running 3 wires for a 240V service is not an
option. You need 3 wires for a 120V service or 4 wires for 240V.

I don't understand the impact of the coax. Could someone please
explain this to me.