Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I guess what I'm really after is, what is the difference between a few
days, a week, and a few weeks? I'd love to see a hardness or strength
versus time kept wet curve.

I'd bet you cold find it with google

Results of Proper Curing

• More Durable Concrete: Good concrete, properly cured, has fewer pores and
crevices where water can enter, freeze, expand and crack the concrete. Air
entrainment helps make more durable concrete, but its use must also be
accompanied by proper curing.

• More Wear-Resistant Concrete: Well cured concrete (28 day curing period)
will develop a surface twice as wear resistant as a surface that is cured
for only three days. Proper curing prevents dusting and means less cracking,
crazing and spalling of the concrete. All in all, the better the curing, the
better the concrete.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr.../watercure.htm

After concrete is placed, the concrete increases in strength very quickly
for a period of 3-7 days. Concrete which is moist cured for 7 days is about
50% stronger than uncured concrete.

Water curing can be done after the slab pour by building dams with soil
around the house and flooding the slab. The enclosed area is continually
flooded with water. Ideally, the slab could be water cured for 7 days. Some
builders on a tight schedule water cure for 3 days as this achieves
approximately 80% of the benefit of water curing for 7 days.

Consider planning your job to pour at the end of the week, build berms, then
flood over the weekend. You get he benefit of water curing without losing
too much time in the schedule.