Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Charley Charley is offline

Default air compressor & tool question

I avoid oil-free compressors as they are exceptionally loud and break more
often. My biggest complaint about them is that they are VERY LOUD.

When buying a compressor, don't buy it based on horsepower as their ratings
are meaningless. Look for the "cfm" rating at 90 or 100 psi and base your
size decision on that. Air nailers need about 100 psi to work well, but they
don't need very much cfm. Other air tools like sanders and spray equipment
are the tools that use a lot of cfm (cubic feet per minute). A compressor
with a higher cfm than what is required by your highest consuming tool is
probably all you will need (but bigger is always better).

Why do you think that you could repair an oil-free and not an oil type. An
oil type compressor isn't much different than a lawnmower motor - rings,
piston, bearings, and the most prone to need repair item, reed valves. The
reed valves are nothing more than spring steel flappers that cover holes in
a plate to let air pass through the hole in only one direction. They are
usually riveted to the plate, making the whole plate a replaceable part.
Most of the time when these compressors have problems a new valve plate is
all they need, unless you have run it without oil. Just remove the head
bolts and the head, remove the valve plate, replace the gaskets and the
valve plate, and bolt the head back on. In less than 15 minutes your
compressor is as good as new again (and you didn't even get covered with oil
doing it).

--
Charley

"George Saridakis" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I am looking at
Grex air tools from Packard
Craftsman Professional 60 gal. Air Compressor, 2.9 hp, Vertical Tank,
Twin-V 2-Stage Oil Free Pump (I figure I could repair an oil free unit if
need be)

Anyone have experience with these?

thanks
George