Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Window shutters

Han wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that
nail on to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now,
they aren't proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests
like magnets.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd
actually use them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do
so) cedar shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means
the shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the
side of my house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look
way out of proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to
seeing the skinny premades already on? Another question, assuming I
want to actually use them ( we get high winds here in Seattle where I
live ) what would be the appropriate way to secure the hinges to the
window frame? I'm envisioning using long screws into the window
framing but is that necessary or are there better ways? The siding
frame around the windows is basically cedar strips - nothing
structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice
straightforward simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would
secure the shutter to the siding or each other when closed.

Go look at French or Italian houses. The customarily have thck walls,
inset windows, shutters that hinge, so 2 sets of double-hinged panels (4
panels/window) are needed to cover the window. The use? prevent the hot
midday air from entering the house, or the cold middle of the night air.

What am I missing here? Isn't that what the window glass is supposed to do?

I thought shutters allowed you to keep the windows open for ventilation
and the angle of the slats kept rain out and sunshine and breezes too.

Jeff

snipped
--
Jeffry Wisnia