Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics
Michael Brown Michael Brown is offline

Default Novice needs help with crazy project

(dropping alt.electronics as my news server can't find it)

Jim Thompson wrote:
CJT wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:
krw wrote:
[snip]

A one-off for personal use is allowed.

No, it is not.

Yeth it is ;-)

cite?

My personal patent attorney, over lunch, during a discussion of
cable-buster boxes. Many years ago, prior to the institution of
theft-of-service laws.

The "many years ago" could be the problem ... things have changed in the
last few years. Although I hate to use Wikipedia to support a point, the
"Research exemption" page does have some good references to read about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_exemption
The relevant title can be grabbed from
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...1----000-.html
which makes it very clear that the construction of a patented device
infringes the patent: "Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever
without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented
invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any
patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the
patent". There are no explicit exemptions in the title itself for research
except for specific pharmaceutical-related situations. The more general
research exemption (in the US) is originally from the Whittemore v. Cutter
case, but this has been significantly narrowed over the years, especially in
the last 5 or so.

[...]

--
Michael Brown