Posted to alt.home.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default Hardwire Ceiling Fan with Remote Control

The speed control for your fan is built in as an integral part of the motor
using its own switching power supply. There are electronics in front of the
motor that are used to change the duty cycle for the motor. By using a
light dimmer in front to supply the fan unit, the power supply and control
drive electronics in the fan unit will be damaged!

What you really need is to return the fan unit, and get yourself simple
ceiling fan that is compatible with an external dimmer!

The light dimmers change the duty cycle to the load, not the voltage. This
is how they give the dimming effect. This duty cycle shift moves in phase in
relation to the AC source. The effective drive to the load is reduced,
because of the phase shift between the output of the dimmer in relation to
the input is offset, and thus giving a lower average voltage output based on
the duty cycle offset. The spiking or switching effect of this offset will
damage most electronic devices, except for simple loads such as heating
elements or incandescent light bulbs.

There are some types of compact fluorescent lamps that are designed to be
able to work with a standard light dimmer. They employ some complex
circuitry in the ballast supply to compensate for the duty cycle offset.
Regular compact florescent lamps can be damaged with a standard light
dimmer.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi ~

I just bought a Harbor Breeze 52" Avian Ceiling Fan (Model #75849)
from Lowes. Unfortunately, this model comes with a remote control
function and I need to hardwire it. The sales representative convinced
me that all I need to do is to throw away the ceiling fan remote
control and receiver and then hardwire the light to the wall switch
and hardwire the fan connection to a Lutron (SFSQ-F Single Pole Fan
Control Quiet 3-Speed) fan control.

As you are probably aware, there are all types of warnings in the
instructions not to wire this remote control fan to a solid state
speed control. I find this interesting because the receiver for the
remote control unit states that it is a solid state speed control.

Am I correct in assuming that if I remove the wireless receiver and
hook it up to the Lutron solid state speed control switch everything
will work fine? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.