Larry Jaques

Default the Home Schooled was Clark is correct

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:13:59 GMT, Karl Pearson
brought forth from the murky depths:

On 3 Mar 2004 10:08:08 -0800, Dan Caster wrote:

Hmmm. I see teaching as something different from you. I think the
first thing done in any teaching is the presenting, that you don't
consider teaching. The second thing is determining if the student
understands what is presented. This is followed by more presenting
focused on whatever aspect the student did not understand. So to me
presenting is the first thing and if done well the requirement to
access what the student learned is not as important because the
student got it the first time.

I must disagree. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such
thing as 'teaching'. There is only 'learning'.

Then perhaps we should "learn" the teachers how to better "learn"
the kids/adults. Some don't know how. They simply present. Some
have little compassion. It takes compassion and enthusiasm to be
a good, er, "learner". Having detailed knowledge of the subject
doesn't hurt, either, but I'm afraid that is a secondary concern
to schools nowadays.

The teacher's job is to help students learn. This requires the teacher to
deal with students with diverse backgrounds, interests, abilities,
attention spans, home lifes, and expectations.

Precisely. The teachers need to learn this in order to better teach
each student. They also need to learn how to motivate unmotivated
students into wanting to learn. The proper attitudes need to be
there on -both- sides of the lesson. In many ways, the teacher has
a harder job than the student. Luckily, they have fewer rampant
hormones to deal with internally than their teen students.

Iguana: The other green meat!