Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Running service from house to garage

Since it's a sub panel, you'll need 4 wires. Go get you a length of 10/3
with ground and do it up right. You'll not need any bigger. Then you can
put in a 6 spot subpanel, use two for your 220 outlet, and have 4 for 110v
outlets or lighting.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am running service from my house to a detached garage through 90' of
buried conduit. I will be operating flourescent lights on one circuit
and outlets on another. The outlets will power a fridge, an
occasionally a battery charger, small tools, space heater, etc...
Initially my plan was not to install a sub panel in the garage, but
rather run two separate circuits from the service panel in the house
to the garage. In the future I'd like to have the option to expand my
voltage in the garage to 240V but at the current time this is not
needed. I think I may have made an early mistake that is not to late
to fix. So far I have run 2 lines of 14/2 romex through the conduit.
I understand that this is only 15 amps on each circuit and I was
thinking I should use 20 amp circuits (I know I should have used 12/2
wire). Howver, I purchased the 14/2 and don't have any 12 guage to
use. If I leave the 14/2 in will this be enough to power the garage
effectively? Also, does this give me the option to create a 240V
circuit in the future? If I did decide to switch to 12 guage wire
would it make sense to use a single 12/3 wire hooked to 2 separate 20
amp breakers at the main service in the house and split these in the
garage to the two 20 amp circuits through 12/2 wire? Both circuits in
the garage will be protected with GCFI outlets.