Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Running service from house to garage

He only needs #10 for the ground conductor for either #8 or #6. I'm not sure
if it's "still" legal to not run a ground with the circuit conductors, but
if he does that, nothing conductive can go between the buildings, including
catv, telephone, metal water line, etc.

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
dpb wrote:

As others have noted, I'll reiterate the more significant problems
here -- first, for underground even in conduit you need wet-location-
rated conductor and what you've described isn't -- you need an UF and
could dispense w/ the conduit except for protecting it going
underground. 3/4" conduit as you noted later isn't really large
enough.

I strongly recommend going to #10 for the feed and installing a small
subpanel. It will be far better in the end to spend a few extra bucks
up front. But, in particularl, the interior romex is _NOT_SUITABLE_
for the application.

You could stuff four #8 THWN-2 wires in there pretty easily, and #8 is
easy to work with. That would give you a 40A service with a separate
ground. Or run 2 black sixes and a white #8 for a 50A (60A? I don't
remember) service and establish a new ground at the garage. Either of
these would be legal with 3/4" conduit.

Bob