Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason Jason is offline

Default Testing batteries & stuff

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

Three questions.

Is it possible to find out how much charge remains in a drill/driver
battery? Connecting a multi meter doesn't seem to give sensible figures.
Any way of measuring the charge remaining?

Generally they need to be tested under load, so that with a given load, for
a given amount of time, the voltage and/or current will drop by a certain
amount, and from that it ought to be possible to calculate the charge left.
Clever battery chargers do the complete opposite, but I'm not sure if there
are any clever battery monitors that will simply tell you if the battery is
any good.

Also, I have a rechargeable torch with apparently a sealed lead/acid
battery. Can I simply charge this whenever, or will the battery develop a
memory? Should I wait till it goes flat?

If it is lead-acid, then *don't let it go flat*. Keep it fully charged at
all times, and you will get a good many years life out of it. The memory for
lead-acid tends to be the fact that they won't forgive you if you let them
go flat - they have a memory better than an elephant (something to do with
permanent and irreversible chemical changes that only happen to a flat
battery).

Lastly, I have an SIP 18v circular saw about 9 months old with 2 x 1.9
a/hr batteries, but they don't seem to last any length of time at all -
never have done. Anything I can do with them?

At 18v, 1.9x2 AH, which we will call 4AH to be generous, would deliver 18x4
= 72W for a full hour. That is being very generous. I'm just guessing here,
but assuming the saw sucks up 200W of power (reasonable?) then we are
talking about a maximum time of 72/200 = 1/3 of an hour, or 20 minutes. Add
in the 'real world' factors of differing loads, loss of voltage over the
discharge cycle, duff batteries or inaccurate labelling, better values for
my guesses, heat losses, and you probably would not get much change out of
ten minutes.

-- JJ