Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

There is still a chemical reaction going on in concrete after 40
years. The initial set is 28 days. The slower it cures (stays
wet) the higher the ultimate strength. This strength has nothing
to do with the concrete's ability to crack which is more a matter
of shrinkage, thickness, and subsoil preparation.

Because of the hastles of keeping a slab wet, most contractors use
curing compound. On flat work, you will still see a very few old
school type who build a dam around the perimeter of the slab and
keep it under water for

a minimum of 3 days, just like I posted the first time.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com
delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
How critical is it that it not dry out? I wasn't paying
attention, and part of it got a bit dry for a few hours. I've
kept it wet ever since. The weather is cool, with occaisonal
sprinkles, so it's not hard to keep it wet. And when can I
finally let it dry out?

"DanG" wrote in message
The first 3 days are the most critical. If you had a way to
cover it with visqueen or set a lawn sprinkler to run
continuously, your task would be easier.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com
delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I finally got my new driveway poured. Question: Should I let it
dry out, and if not, how long should I keep it wet? I've been
going out several times a day and hosing it off to keep it wet.
It's not hot, but the wind is blowing and the sun is shining,
and it drys out after a few hours. At what point do I stop and
just let it dry?