Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Door panels CUPPING during DRY season??????

"blueman" wrote in message
We have 2-over-2 paneled interior doors in our 125 year old Italianate
house. We have only lived in the house for 2 years, but now for the
first time I am noticing that many of the panels are getting severely
cupped.

I am surprised because now the house is at its maximum dryness and I
would have expected more cupping during the summer as the panels
expand against the door frame.

Is it natural to have such cupping and if so what would be causing it?

I assume that since the house is so old and since I didn't notice the
cupping in the summer months that this is just cyclical and will
resolve when the humidity returns, right?

Driest time inside, wettest out. Sounds like a recipe for adjustment.
Solid wood will move. Unless you have intrusion problems with the March
winds, wait it out.