Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Question about attic moisture

On Mar 17, 10:45 pm, wrote:
Hi,

The wife and I put a bid on a new house and we just went through it
with the engineer. This house is a split level, and while checking the
attic crawlspace above the master bedroom, he noticed that the plywood
on the roof looked a little damp and there was mold growing on the
wood. The insulation is blown in and whoever did this never installed
any kind of vapor barrier. Now my questions a

1) How hard would it be to install a vapor barrier? I know everything
has to be sucked out, then the barrier has to be installed, then new
insulation has to be blown in. This sounds pretty tricky since the
only access is the attic crawlspace and I don't believe the joists
would handle a lot of weight.

2) I don't believe I saw any soffits on the outside of the house.
Would adding soffits and making sure there was adequate airflow in the
attic correct the problem?

I know we're going to be busy taking care of a lot of things when we
move in, so I'm not going to have much time to take care of this
stuff; and I want to get this taken care of ASAP.

Does anyone know approximately how much this would cost to have it
professionally done? We might be able to get this cost taken off of
the offer. Thanks for any help!

Don't disagree w/ other comments but...are you being represented in
this transaction? If not, you should be. Did you place a non-
contingent offer? It would be far more advantageous to you in all
likelihood to require the seller take care of any problems before the
sale closes and a legal beagle can make sure you will have recourse.
If you choose to simply make a lower offer, you need far better data
than a guess from a usenet group to have any idea of what the actual
out of pocket costs could be in order to have any basis whatsoever for
what a fair compensation would be. Particularly if you are not
interested in doing the work yourself, you may be surprised
(astonished/shocked/horrified???) at how fast contractor costs can
escalate, particularly if in repairing one problem you uncover
others...

In short, my recommendation is to proceed far more slowly than not and
with deliberation and wise counsel...

Btw, damhikt...