A.Gent

Default hacksaw cutting slowly

"Gary Coffman" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:55:18 +1100, "A.Gent" wrote:
Strike a bloody light!
I'd almost forgotten how painful a power hacksaw is.

6 to 10 *seconds* would be about right to get through a one inch square steel bar
using my Brobo cold cut-off saw - plus, the finish on the cut ends is "milled"
super-smooth.

Power hacksaws?
Weld a steel loop on them, and donate them to a local boat owner.

So, how do you do internal cuts? Your cold saw can't get in there,
breaking and rewelding a bandsaw blade is a pain, but it is simple
to thread a power hacksaw blade through a starter hole. Works with
hand hacksaws too, if the frame is large enough.

Yep. True. But:
In the past 25 years I could count the number of times I've needed to do that on one
hand. And then, I'd use a hand hacksaw.

But point taken.

Thing is, though, when I used to use a power hacksaw, I'd typically set it up and
then go and then go and do something else for a while. With the cold cutoff, I set
it up, cut, and its done.

The former is relaxing, but frustrating.
The latter is no less relaxing, and immensely satisfying.

Clearance can be a pain for some cuts too, I'll admit. And short pieces.

BTW, my favorite hand hacksaw is a big sturdy bow frame (3 to 4 feet
long) with a length of bandsaw blade used as the hacksaw blade. Long
strokes, cuts quick, and you can really crank in some tension on the
blade to help it cut true.

Gary

Wowsers. Same here, but for wood, not metal.
I really like my big old home-made wood bowsaw (with rope tensioner).

Jeff