Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Is anyone familiar with this chainsaw?

On Mar 18, 5:58 am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:

Ho-oly Cow! Over a grand - even in Canadian money, for a chainsaw! That
thing better have come with a nude brunette to do all of the bending over
work, for that price...

--

-Mike-

For that price, I would want the brunette DOING the work, not just
leaning over.

It is a lot of dough, and closer calculations are letting me see that
I will be in at the $500 mark for the saw, a couple of extra chains, a
carry bag and shipping. I never in my life thought I would be
spending $500 on a chainsaw, and that is probably why I am laboring so
hard over this decision. I was likewise surprised to find that it
takes about $250 just to get a bottom of the list (12" bar, small
engine arborist model) saw that is considered a "pro" grade saw.

I noticed in a later post that you are a proponent of Stihl. I would
be too, except that the 24" bar 60cc model they sell is at the $1050
to $1100 mark from our local dealer, PLUS 8% state and local. And
that is for the saw only. Plus, I am still ****ed off at the fact
that I would have to buy a Stihl saw and any OEM parts from a
certified dealer. I don't know how the parts costs compare to the
cost of parts on other saws, but if their dealer protected part
pricing is similar to their dealer protected saw pricing, it will be
pretty high.

Sitll, if I honestly used it hard every day, or used it as my method
of making a living, I might consider the Stihl. But as far as having
an expensive piece of equipment like that, I would be sick every time
I looked at is sitting, knowing that I spent $1100 to $1200 on a saw
that I didn't use that much.

Robert