Posted to rec.woodworking
David David is offline

Default Mortising Question

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 12:39 pm, "David" cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom wrote:
Thanks for those suggestions, but as I previously posted
a flat bottom on the mortise isn't my concern.

I'm at a loss as to what you're really trying to accomplish. You're
working on a stair railing. Stairs are inclined, the railing is
inclined, the bottom of the hole will be inclined. If you use a
mortising machine the uphill end of the mortise will be where the
interference occurs. The spindles are metal. Cut the spindles on an
angle. You don't have to worry about having insufficient tenon
length compromising the strength of the railing. The mortise will
hide the cut edges. This will be far faster than trying to work
inside a mortise.

Unless there is some other consideration you haven't mentioned, you
seem to be making this needlessly complex.

Hi Rico,

Having no experience with a dedicated mortiser all I originally wanted to know was if the mortise
I was getting, was to be expected, if there was something in the bit and chisel setup that
would avoid the collar (ring) that I was getting at the outer edge of the mortise.

http://i16.tinypic.com/2ms1303.jpg

It has been pointed out that this is to be expected when producing a single 1/2" mortise with a 1/2" mortising
chisel.

The shoe stock is 5/8" thick, I was hoping to drill a 3/8" depth mortise and be able to insert the spindle
3/8" into the mortise.
The collar (ring) which is left after drilling stands proud of the bottom of the mortise, preventing the
spindle from being inserted the full 3/8".

It has been suggested to chisel out the collar to achieve my required depth and although time consuming, is a
solution.

I have both flat run and inclined railings on this project.

The inclined pieces of shoe rail and hand rail I will mortise on the angle (51°) and cut the bottom/top of the
spindles to match.

I may opt to only insert the spindles 1/4" into the shoe rail and then insert deeper into the hand rail to
take up the difference.

I apologize for the confusion. I hope this clears it up.

Thanks for the replies,

David.