Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default Consumer Reports: "Don't repair this TV..."

In article ,
lid says...
Not exactly true. They AFAIK are required to have one unencrypted sub
channel. The rest is up to the station. The FCC recently made a rule change
that made The Tube go away. A crystal ball is required to know how it will
turn out.

Maybe "The Tube" is gone by you, but it's still here in the Chicago area
on WGN 9.2.

The FCC did recently rule that ALL subchannels have to comply with E/I
(Education/Information) rules. Before, it was assumed only the primary
needed to comply. I don't know if it's national, but here in Chicago,
they run some zoo program that talks about animals with jazz playing in
the background on Saturday mornings.

There are several stations here in the Chicago area that only carry one
or more SD's.

On the other hand, the main PBS station, WTTW-11, is going overboard. It
reduced it's HD from 1080i to 720p (for PBS-HD), and how has THREE SD
subchannels (simulcast of the analog, PBS Create, the new Spanish-
language V-me.)

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross