Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Is anyone familiar with this chainsaw?

"George" wrote in message
et...

I'm Stihl, second one, first having dumped its magneto after 15 years.
Trade was worth more than the cost of the part, and the parts on mine live
on in three neighborhood Stihls. FWIW, I'm in hardwood country, and the
piececutters are pretty much solid with Stihl. It has a "preheater"

feature
which impedes the air intake for winter work. Never used it, having only
used the saw at -20 F, perhaps they mean colder than that.

I'll weigh in on the Stihl side as well. I've had a few over the years.
None of them ever wore out. One was stolen, one suffered the misfortune of
an errant tree and I'm still cutting with the third. I'm in upstate NY and
99% of my cutting is hardwoods - mostly maple, cherry, beach. Friends who
log for a living have long been mixed between Stihl, Jonserd, and Huskvarna.
All equal tools in my opinion, as long as you stay in class. I got started
with a Stihl decades ago, having somewhat grown up with them, and have just
stuck with them.

Don't get safety chain for ripping turning blanks. Clogs too much. Get a
good chisel chain, or perhaps a skip-tooth. Skip tooth gives a bit more
feedback on crosscutting, so I'm staying with chisel.

Echo.

--

-Mike-