Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what's wrong with my Bench Grinder?

In article . com,
"jkn" writes:
Hi all
my (extremely cheap) Bench Grinder stopped working a little while
ago. Switching the on switch just gives a little 'kick' to the wheels,
nothing more. I've replaced the Capacitor (4uF 450V) but nothing has
changed. I'm a bit surprised given that the motor is an induction
motor - is there anything to go wrong which might be causing this
symptom?

Depends on the type of induction motor. One winding burned out might.
If you spin it by hand and then plug it in whilst it's still spinning
(with hands well clear), does it run? If it does, beware it will run
in either direction (depending on which way you spin it), so make
sure you spin it the right way.

--
Andrew Gabriel