Posted to sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default random use of different notebook transformers

Hi!

With respect I have not seen a Laptop/Notebook with the 'Power Supply'
integrated on the motherboard since the days of 486's (Toshiba for

example)
'Power Supply' being the components that convert the AC mains from the

wall
socket to the DC voltage required to run the Laptop / Charge it's battery.

There's not a "whole" line voltage to DC power supply in a modern laptop,
but there is very often a power supply known as a "DC-DC converter" that
takes the single voltage from the power adapter and provides all the
different voltages the computer will need. This supply usually also has the
majority of the battery charging circuitry on it.

Some (very few) laptops actually have power bricks that put out more than
one voltage. I haven't seen any recent ones, though.

William